The Surrey Saga...continued

by Graham Conway

We are frequently asked, "Is anything happening in Surrey?", to which we usually reply, "Yes, indeed, pretty well on an ongoing basis". If it’s quiet, or seems to be, then that only indicates we haven’t yet heard about the "latest piece of action". But enough of my rambling, let’s provide some examples for you readers (i.e. - reflections from my notebook).

The night the Persian Gulf War officially ended a lady driving north on King George Highway watched in open-mouth amazement as two triangular shaped craft crossed the highway from east to west at the 98th Avenue intersection. Located behind the Surrey Village Market (west side of King George Highway), is a 14 story apartment building. Our witness stated that the wedge shaped craft were at the 9th floor level. Despite the fact that these UFOs were well illuminated around the visible edges, we received no other reports from other potential travelers in that area. But what else is new? Such one act plays are par for the course.

Moving southward a few blocks we arrive at Bear Creek Park, where reports frequently originate. On the 17th of May, 1995, a couple who live behind Brookside Elementary School were witness to a large pie-shaped craft that flew slowly from southeast to northwest. This was viewed from the kitchen window by both the man and his wife. Up to that point the former had been a dyed-in-the-wool skeptic. The prolonged sighting gave him reason to re-assess his stance, as the low altitude UFO with its revolving coloured lights moved out of sight over some nearby trees. About forty minutes later it was back again for a briefer period. It comes as no great surprise (to us) when we heard that the sister of the lady of the house had experienced strange events herself, even though she lives in another municipality. On thing is for sure, she did not want to discuss her memories. The mother of these two ladies had a lengthy history of sightings and lifetime events which she was prepared to discuss.

Close by to this particular location can be found a very visible series of high tension transmission towers that run west to east, crossing King George Highway. In the very immediate vicinity of these silently menacing power lines a two story house is located.

On July 27th, 1994, at 4 am, "Eddie" came into his mother’s bedroom to tell her that "there was a thing with blue lights under the wires" and "little people on the poles". His mother told him to shut up and climb into her bed. At breakfast that morning he was still talking about it. I got a call at 8 am and arrived at the house at 11, after re-arranging my work schedule.

I quickly discovered that Eddie’s bedroom faces east. Even if he could see over the window sill (which he couldn’t), it was not possible to see the poles he was referring to, from that location. Asking more questions elicited the astonishing answer that he had been talking to the "high man" (tall was not in his vocabulary). "Where did this take place?" "Down there", said he, pointing to the ground below the verandah on which we were standing. "Who else was with you?", I asked. "Mummy", he replied. Needless to say, "mother" didn’t want to hear any of this. For if what her son was recounting was indeed true, then they had both been outside during the night, and she had no memory of it. Even more perplexing was how this strange journey took place, as her sister lived in the house, her mother in the lower half, and they also had a dog. Of course, all the doors were locked. When I asked where the "thing" had gone, he just pointed into the westerly sky. At this point mother loudly announced they were going to move, and within a month they had!

It should be noted that at their previous residence in a nearby district of Whalley, "Eddie" had frequently complained to his mother of an "old man" who looked at him through his bedroom window. Two small problems arose from this statement: (1) his bedroom was on the second floor, and (2) the window had drapes. Even so, he persisted in this complaint.

To conclude this brief roundup of the weird and wondrous from the Surrey Corridor - a final stop, one that made its way to national TV via the aid of a program called "Encounters". The year was 1994. The family in question is a three member unit. When we first were invited to hear their story and attempt an investigation they had been experiencing strange events in their residence for quite a long period of time. The home, a modest bungalow, is set in a quiet residential backwater. "Darlene" and "Eric" are out of the house most of the day. They usually cook with a microwave unit. The house has solar panels installed in the roof. You won’t find a basement area, it doesn’t exist. Why describe all of the above?... simply to make a point. The bi-monthly gas and electricity bill is usually in the range of SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS! (No, they don’t grow grass.) The writer’s home is twice as large, including a basement area, and my hydro bill for the same period runs around $117, every two months. Why this vast discrepancy? one knows. Various experts have checked the house out and are unable to determine the power drain leakage point. Prior to departing they changed the hydro meter, nothing changed cost wise.

Our own investigation team brought in two technicians familiar with electrical wiring systems. Despite a very thorough search of the whole house, inside and out, nothing could be found to explain this electrical enigma.

The young couple have also had unusual bedroom experiences. "Eric" sees light "explosions", and both have viewed UFOs performing sky dances through the sky light set in the ceiling. On one occasion "Darlene" was able to view a large triangular shaped craft cross her field of vision (the sky light was 12" by 18"). It took, she reckons, about one minute!

This young couple have a small daughter, who at that particular time was two years old. Verbal communication was limited, however she could make it abundantly clear to her parents that though she was quite prepared to sleep in her crib during the day, she had no intention of occupying it at night. Standing at one corner she would point up toward the wall and repeat "baby, baby, baby". Her parents were unable to see what she was pointing at. When we were shown the room and told the story we noticed a small door on the wall where "Teresa" usually pointed. On opening it up we found an electrical panel. Significant?...we think so, but don’t know why.

When the film crew for "Encounters" came to the house for the interview session they completed the sequence by setting up the equipment outside the house to record our taking leave of our hosts, "Darlene" and "Eric". As we waited for our cue to depart we were suddenly informed that it would take a while longer than expected. The reason being that the crew had just discovered that the newly charged batteries inserted for each take, were completely drained. This had never happened to them before, and where were they positioned you ask?...right outside "Teresa’s" bedroom! What a coincidence!

In conclusion it should be noted that this couple have had other UFO sightings. Two whilst on holidays at Osoyoos, on consecutive nights, for extended periods. The second night they were able to video tape the light as it moved slowly out of sight. Another time, travelling home one evening, they viewed a reflective metallic(?) object high in the clear sunlit sky, for a short period of time.

The forgoing accounts will serve to confirm that Surrey as a whole is replete with people who have had, or are having, some truly astonishing sightings and experiences. If any of you readers who live within this region of "high strangeness" have a story to tell that we haven’t yet heard, then don’t delay, we would be delighted to hear from you.


The people involved in the above investigation were Graham Conway, and Michael Strainic of MUFON. The electrical technicians were Pierre Sinclaire and assistant Geoff.

Hit Counter

lbutton0.gif (395 bytes)RETURN TO SEVENTIES