One Man's History of 17 UFO sightings
and other experiences

1955 - 2001

by Brian Reinhardt

On the 30th of March 2001 UFO British Columbia received an e-mail from a resident of Surrey detailing his "various sightings over the years". We want to thank Brian for his stories and encourage other readers to send us their sightings. Normally we file the sightings we receive by date on our web site. We did this with Brian's sightings but we also posted them all together on this page. We felt this is important since part of the UFO puzzle is answering the question: why certain people have so many sightings while others never see anything peculiar in their entire lifetime? Some may think in such a case it is all in one person's head but note that many of Brian's sightings occurred with others present.
- M. Jasek UFO*BC

Dear Sirs, over the past 45 years I've had a number of sightings or odd occurrences which I'd like to pass on to you. I lived in the Marpole district of Vancouver from 1944 to 1997. Our house overlooked the Airport so I am familiar with most types of aircraft seen in our skies. I now live in N. Surrey.

1955 - I didn't see this one but during that summer about six of my friends were sitting out in their back yard. All of a sudden they noticed a large cigar shaped craft coming slowly up from the south. One of them ran into the house and brought out binoculars as well as his mother. They stated that the craft had numerous yellow portholes along both sides. Their mother apparently phoned the Airport and was told that there were no planes in the air at that time, they said that while she was on the phone she could hear fighter planes being scrambled in the back ground. While she was inside the craft slowly turned round and headed back south, they watched until it was out of sight. They ranged in age from approx. 12 to 14.

1956 - This summer I became interested in listening to Short Wave Radio. I was out in my back yard working on an Antenna. Because I was looking up I noticed a small circular craft quickly approaching from the west; it flew almost directly overhead and disappeared to the east. It appeared to be about the same size and colour as a dime would be, held at arm's length. When I first saw it, it was approx. 45 degrees to the west of me. It took approx. 10 sec. to pass out of sight, much faster than any aircraft which I've ever seen. When it disappeared in the east it did not appear to follow the curvature of the earth but just seemed to fly straight off into space. The weather was sunny and clear, it made no sound and left no vapor trail, it appeared to be very high, possibly over 30,000 ft.

1966 - My girlfriend Leigh and I had been out for a ride on my motorcycle and on the way home were north bound on Highway 99. We had just come out of the tunnel when I happened to notice a large yellowish rectangle hanging in the air above UBC, which would put it just north of the airport. At first I thought it must be some sort of reflection on my helmet visor but after shaking my head back and forth and lifting the visor, it was still there. I pointed it out to my girlfriend and she confirmed that she also could see it. We continued to keep glancing at it all the way across Richmond and I had hopes of getting home and taking a better look through binoculars but just as we approached the south end of the Oak St. bridge we could see what appeared to be the shadows of people moving about inside and the opening suddenly began to close, it was just like a door had swung shut and then it was gone. We both had the impression that we were looking through a doorway into some sort of large room but whatever we were looking at was completely invisible from the outside. What ever the door belonged to must have been huge, as we were probably 10 miles away when I first saw it. I would estimate the opening to be somewhere between 50 to 100 ft. in height, by comparing it to the size of the trees below it. I doubt that it was more than 500 ft. in altitude. The weather was clear and sunny and it was approx. 18:00 hrs.

1966 - My girlfriend Leigh and I had gone for a drive to Harrison Lake, upon arrival we drove up to the picnic grounds on the east side. We had her little dog with us and decided to take him for a walk. When we got to the north end of the beach I was about 100 ft. ahead of Leigh and the dog was running back and forth between us. The rocks come right down to the water at that point and as I approached them. I suddenly caught a whiff of a really putrid odour sort of like a cross between a Skunk and some sort of large dead animal. I was thinking of climbing over the rocks and seeing what it was but just as I was going to start climbing the dog got a whiff. I had never seen him back down from anyone or thing, but he turned and with his tail between his legs took off for the car. I called him and Leigh called him but he was not stopping for nothing. I was starting to get the feeling that someone or thing was watching me and after seeing the dogs reaction decided to get out of there. When we got back to the parking lot he was hiding under my car. I have often wondered if maybe the smell was coming from a Sasquatch. I wish I'd had the nerve to look.

1967 - My girlfriend Leigh and our friends Tom and Lil along with their daughter Kim. Spent every weekend in August camping near Gold Creek on the west side of Allouette Lake. The last Sat. night in Aug. we were sitting around the campfire and looking out over the lake when all of a sudden Tom drew our attention to a large Orange object slowly passing across the south end of the valley. It was about the same size and colour as the full moon as it rises in the month of October. I attempted to find my binoculars for a better look but just as I got my hand on them the object went behind the mountains. I would estimate it was flying at approx. 1500 ft. in altitude by comparing it with the height of the surrounding mountains. The time was approx. 23:00 and the craft was traveling from west to east along the north side of the Fraser Valley. I read several months later in a Magazine called Canadian UFO report that it had been reported by a number of people in the Fraser Valley as far east as Hope, last seen still heading east into the mountains. We observed the full moon rise at approx. 01:00 directly across the lake from us. It was much whiter in colour and appeared smaller.

1968 - Easter Weekend - I decided to drive the approx. 800 miles north to see a friend of mine who'd recently moved to Dawson Creek. I left Vancouver quite late and about midnight found myself driving through the mountains near Cache Creek. As I drove along the mountain crests I noticed far off in the N. West a number of what appeared to be search lights playing on the clouds. At the time I thought there must be an airport over there somewhere. Later on when I checked my maps found nothing but bush and also realized that the lights I'd seen were not shining up at the clouds but down from somewhere above. Shortly after passing Cache Creek it began to snow and I ended up driving for 18 hours. I found my friend, booked into one of the Hotels in town and passed out. She had the weekend off, so the next few days we spent touring the area. The third day I started back to Vancouver. The snow had all melted and I was cruising along about 80 mph. At sunset I was just north of Quesnel and had a large field on my right, as I passed it I noticed what appeared at first glance to be a white bird about the size of a Herring Gull, it took off from approx. 150 ft. away and skimmed across the field at approx. 3 ft. in the air on an interception course with my car. I stepped on the brakes and it passed through my head light beams approx. 20 ft. in front of me. It then climbed at about a 45 degree angle and shot off up into the sky. As it passed I realized it was not a bird as the wings were fixed and not flapping. My foot came down a little harder and soon I was cruising at 90 mph. Hours later I was back up in the mountains, just south of Cache Creek. I'd not seen another car for hours and I was still rolling along about 90. All of a sudden a brilliant white light shone down on me from somewhere above. It was like the light from a flash bulb, so bright I couldn't even see my own headlights and from what I could make out appeared to be a perfect circle, perhaps several hundred feet in diameter. I floored the gas and went up to about 110 mph. but the light stayed right with me. After a minute or so the light went back out. I could feel all the hairs on the back of my neck standing up and sensed that whatever it was, was still directly over my car. I wanted to stop and take a look but since I was by myself and there was no other traffic I continued to keep my foot in it. About 10 minutes later the light came back on and I got the distinct impression that whoever was behind it wanted me to stop. I went even faster. Just before I reached the Kanaka Bar Restaurant the light went out again. I came around a bend and found the Restaurant right in front of me. A car had just left the Restaurant and I passed him doing about 120 mph. He must have thought I was a UFO. A few miles further on I came over the crest of a mountain and could see a long steep hill in front of me with a curve at the bottom, suddenly my car lost all power and I was flying blind down the hill.

I was still doing close to 120 mph and had lost my lights, power steering, power brakes etc. I put both feet on the brake pedal and pushed as hard as I could. I couldn't see the road at all as there are tall trees on each side of the road and it was black. All I could do was try and keep the car heading straight. I kept picturing the road curving up ahead but didn't have the faintest idea how close I was or even if I could make it at the speed I was still going. Without my power assist the car didn't feel as if it was slowing the least. Just as I reached the bottom of the hill my power all of a sudden came back on. Needless to say I made the corner but didn't slow down until I reached the main Trans Canada Highway with all its traffic. I owned that car for more than five years and never before or after did I have any problems with it mechanically or electrically. The loss of power seemed to be their goodbye present as I lost that feeling that they were sitting on my roof just shortly afterwards. I often read or see programs about people losing time during incidents similar to what I went through but don't think I was stopped. I was near Quesnel at sunset which I'd guess to be about 19:00 and hit the Trans Canada near Hope at about 02:00. I was just doing some calculations and they don't work out. Quesnel is approx. 325 miles north of Hope and at the speed I was going I should have done it in about 3.5 hrs. not 7, maybe something did happen? I sure don't recall slowing.

Years later when I first saw the movie Close Encounters it brought it all back again especially the scene where they were all up on the mountain watching the UFO approach above the clouds. When I came out of the theatre after the movie I didn't have the faintest idea where I was. Nothing seemed familiar and it took several minutes for me to figure out where I was. Several years later I asked some Police Officers if they might have had helicopters working in the Canyon at night and they said not to their knowledge. Too dangerous.

1971 - I was by myself in a 13.5 ft. boat crossing from Deep Cove in N. Van. to Bedwell Bay located on the other side of Indian Arm. About mid channel I happened to look down into the water and there approx. 10 ft. below my boat was a large white animal swimming along. It appeared to be about the same width as my boat (5 feet) but about twice the length. The only thing I can think of it might have been is a Beluga Whale but they are not supposed to be in our area except in the Aquarium. My boat was also white so maybe it thought it had found a companion. I was just worried it might flip my boat over if it got to close but after about half a mile it disappeared. I never did see it again. It was not a Killer Whale.

1981 - During August I was camped with friends and several hundred other people alongside the causeway to the Ferry Terminal just north of the US border. Near midnight what appeared to be a large Emerald Green Meteor flashed overhead traveling west to east. I remember glancing around as it went over and as far as the eye could see was lit up almost like a green daylight. I had never seen anything like it before and neither had anyone else we talked to. The only light I can recall being similar is burning copper.

1984 - From 1972 to 1986, I worked as a Security Guard which meant I was outside most nights. During the summer at approx. 04:00 I observed another of those large Green Meteors? pass overhead, once again traveling west to east. Just before it disappeared it appeared to break up into 3 or 4 pieces which shot off in different directions, it did not appear to burn up, but just seemed to shoot off into space.

1986 - In Dec. 1979 I suddenly became ill for no apparent reason and spent the next 10 years going from Doctor to Doctor trying to find out what was wrong. I still don't know for sure what the problem is, maybe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but don't know for sure. During one of my better spells in 1985 I met and married my 3rd wife. She is E. Indian extraction from Fiji. During one of my really bad sick spells she phoned her relatives in Fiji and asked them to take my picture to one of the Temples and ask the Priest what was the matter with me. To our surprise two different priests in different sides of the Island told my relatives that I'd been married twice before and that one of my wives had put a curse on me and that was why I was sick and that the Doctors would be unable to cure me. If I went to Fiji they said they could lift the curse. My relatives were quite shocked to learn that I'd been married twice before, as we had told no one. One of the priests came here to Vancouver and my wife brought her to our house several times to have her pray over me and do her thing. The first time I didn't notice any improvement but the second time it felt as if something was being pulled right out through the top of my head and for the next four hours I was just bursting with energy. I ran around like I was crazy doing all the things I'd been putting off for years then just as fast as it came it was gone, she came back again the next year but I didn't have any improvement this time. She told me I would have to come to Fiji so she could get the necessary things from the Jungle and she assured me I would be cured. I never made it, so still not well.

1991 - During this year I had a lot of trouble with idiots trying to steal my car, so I set up motion sensor lights and a video camera and had it running 24 hours a day. The camera covered the car and quite a bit of the sky. On Halloween morning as I played back the tape (30 x normal) I noticed two large circular white objects traveling once again west to east, just about sunrise. When I slowed the tape to normal they just appeared to be clouds slowly drifting along. As far as I could tell the sky had been clear all night and these two clouds? appeared to be travelling against the wind. They were approx. 1/2 mile in diameter and appeared perfectly circular. I've seen many clouds and they always change shape as they move, these did not. I kept the tape for several weeks and showed it to anyone who would look, they all said it was interesting but that was about it. I then reused the tape.

1995 - Late spring, I saw a report on TV and some pictures of 3 UFO's which had been seen over the N. Shore mountains by a man and his wife in Burnaby. Apparently they had seen these three objects over Seymour Mountain, two went north and one slowly came south towards them. The husband managed to grab his camera and snap several pictures. The object then turned around and

disappeared to the north. Two days later just after sunset my wife and I were parked across the river from the Airport watching the planes land. I noticed a large red strobe light which appeared to be hanging motionless in the sky to northwest near Gibsons, I pointed it out to my wife and she exclaimed its just a plane. I watched it on and off for approx. 15 minutes and it didn't move. Some clouds drifted in front of it and moments later I saw it move and take up a position directly over the ski run at Cypress Bowl in West Van. I watched it through 7 x binoculars but all I could see was just this large red strobe light. It moved again after about 15 minutes to the ski run on Grouse Mountain in N. Van. It was sitting about half again the height of the mountains, which would place it at approx. 6000 ft. We have float planes flying in and out of Vancouver's inner harbour and they usually fly beside Grouse Mountain as they are gaining altitude and I noticed that each time one of these small planes got within a mile or so of the strobe the large red light would go out and be replaced by three small lights approx. the same size as the lights on the plane. These lights were white, red and green with red in the centre and the white and green spaced approx. the width of the ski run apart, this would be aprox. 100 yards if my memory of the ski run is correct. Each time as the plane moved away the small lights would blink out and be replaced with the single large red strobe. It once again moved after about 15 minutes to the ski run on Seymour Mtn. but only stayed about 5 minutes and then started back towards Grouse Mtn. I was watching through the binoculars as it approached Grouse it suddenly winked out and reappeared over Seymour. It appeared to cover the distance instantly and I didn't even see it move. My wife was getting cranky so I had to leave and didn't see it again.

1998 - In July 26, 1998 we moved to a house in N. Surrey, with a 180 degree view of the north shore. A week later I was watching TV and happened to glance out the window towards Seymour, I noticed what appeared to be the landing light of a plane over Seymour Mtn. I didn't pay much attention but about ten minutes later it was still in the same place, after about 20 minutes it suddenly shrank to nothing and disappeared, I don't know if the light shrank or if it accelerated rapidly away. About a half hour later I looked out the window and it was back again, this time I grabbed my binoculars and watched, it did the same thing again, just shrank to nothing and I still couldn't tell how.

1998 - Aug. first week - just after dark, lots of large fluffy clouds, I observed a meteorite come down at about an 85 degree angle, passing between several clouds, looked just like in the movies, appeared to strike the ground near the housing development on the side of the mountain just north of Coquitlam.

1998 - Aug. second week - sitting on front deck looking west, observed another meteorite plunged down in the vicinity of UBC.

1998 - Aug. third week - was lying on the rear deck looking for satellites just after dark, when I saw what appeared to be one tumbling in space and traveling north to south. I took a look through my binoculars and what I had taken to be the sun reflecting from the object turned out to be a large white strobe light with a smaller red light and the rear and a green in the front. I couldn't make out what they were attached to very well but it appeared to be black and cylindrical. I don't know if it was in space or not but it appeared to be very high and traveling about the same speed as the satellites do.

1998 - Dec. about Christmas, observed meteorite plunge to the ground near the ski slope on Seymour Mtn.

2000 - Dec. - We had to move, still in N. Surrey without the view. I heard there was going to be a meteor shower that night, so I stuck my Video camera outside the window aimed towards the SW. I didn't see any meteorites but did see several planes on approach to the airport. I also picked up some kind of flying object apparently following the Hydro lines up Nordel Way and then making a hard left turn about Scott Road. It almost looks like a flying car but the lights are too large and vertically oblong-shaped. It appears to be about 500 ft. altitude. I thought maybe it was a Helicopter as it was too low for a plane and turned too sharp. I showed the tape to a friend of mine, who is a Commercial Pilot, and he didn't know what it was but says it's not a plane and he was pretty sure it wasn't a Chopper. I misplaced the tape and hope I didn't erase it.

2001 - March, approx. the 10th. just after dark, vicinity of 128 and 93, I had gone out to the front of the house to get something from my van. As I walked back I happened to glance up at the heavy clouds hanging overhead. Just then a whitish, yellow glowing disk dropped out of the clouds shot across under the clouds at high speed for approx. 1/2 a mile then darted back up. A few seconds later a second disk followed the same path. Both were silent and about the size of the full moon, they glowed but not overly bright, I didn't notice any reflection on the clouds. About 1/2 hour later I was sitting in the house watching TV, when I observed another disk drop out of the clouds heading in northerly direction. Time of sightings was only a matter of a couple of seconds for each of them.

That's about it for now, hopefully one of these days I'll see something during the daylight and have a camera handy.

Brian Reinhardt

Surrey, BC.

Send us your comments:
e-contactus.gif (1205 bytes)
Please state name and date of article



Hit Counter